Thursday, August 20, 2015

Making Friends is Hard

So since losing my best friend, I have been trying to find a new one.  I have always been on the lookout for that one true friend. I was hoping to find a good friend in the homeschool world...but have yet to find that one true person.  I suppose I came into this journey with certain perceptions- but they have proven false.  I was hoping to find a person like a me.  I have went to a few HSing meet and greet park days and so far I have found a couple of people that I can relate to, but are older, and the people that are my age are not the type of people I want to be my friends.

When I was a teenager I used to make silly lists on what I wanted in a boyfriend.  If I were to make a list for a best friend it would be:
  • farm background
  • not rough around the edges, sweet and non judgemental
  • not loud mouthed
  • homeschool friendly
  • preferably old time Missionary Baptist
There would probably be others but those would be the top 5.  I would like them to from this area.  Some of the women I met today were not local to the area and were very outspoken about living here.  Very insulting.  If the kids weren't having so much fun we would have just left, but for them I hung on.  Hung on and felt myself slipping away into a dark corner where I wasn't welcome.  The lady sitting closest to me said that living in the midwest was hard because the people were rude, clicky, and unwelcoming.  HELLO?! Do you not see me sitting here?! Sigh. She also used several curse words in the presence of the children...while I do the same at home on occasion, I try my best not to make it a regular thing.  Yes we are clicky and are not open to change.  No we don't party and entertain a lot- which is fine by me.  We are a close knit farming community and our lives revolve around our church family/God, our immediate family/friends, and the farm.  I had never had a person make that sound bad before until today.

Here is this woman sitting in HOT pink shorts and a T-Shirt with foul wording on it next to me and says to me, " I can see your son and daughter are both ones not to care about style." Really?! They are 6 and 8.  They care about what they look like, but style no probably not they are both jeans and t-shirt kids like their mom and dad.  But who says that? I could have said mean and nasty things to her but I didn't, I refrained from seeping that low.  I refrained because I figured she was going to attack me next (Jeans, flip flops, a grey t-shirt and my hair in a french braid...)

I feel so lonely right now-I didn't realize it was possible to feel this lonely.  My husband is the only person I feel like I can talk to, and while that is great I still need a woman to talk to sometimes.  But I feel that I don't have anyone whom I can truly relate to.  

1 comment:

  1. I read this yesterday and felt very bad for you. I felt very bad for myself as well because I lost my best friend of many years some time ago and haven't had a real friend since. Anyhow, this morning I woke up to a familiar voice on the tv (my husband likes to sleep w/it on). It was a preacher I often listen to on the radio. He was speaking mainly about kids and my mind wandered. Quite suddenly I thought of this blog post and again, I felt bad. Then a little voice said "Her net is too narrow. And so is yours." You and I have approached this friendship thing in opposite ways (kind of). You made a list of what type of person you would like as a friend. I made a mental list of why I wouldn't be a good friend to most people and we both have gotten the same results. Maybe we both need to pray on it and open ourselves up to folks we wouldn't normally think of as "friends". Maybe that is the path the Lord is trying to send us on, but we are too stubborn to go along with it. Well anyhow, I just thought I'd share that with you. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete