Monday, February 9, 2015

Winter is back

Over the weekend we had spring-like weather- sunny, clear, 70's.  We even didn't build a fire Saturday night as the low was 55°! Today it is 30°...blah.  I think I would be happy to live somewhere where it didn't get below 65°.  Saturday we worked a few cows and a calf- needed tags and some vaccines.  Also needed to band the calf that was getting entirely too large-- he is probably nearing 500lbs.

Last night hubby and I stayed up looking and discussing different ways to build a new chicken house.  I am so sick of free ranging my hens.  I know it is all the hype to have free ranged chickens but I have done it now for 5 years off and on and I am done.  Between the hawks, coyotes, dogs, and the laying of eggs in random places I am sick of it.  I have never felt successful at raising chickens because so many of them die or "stop" laying only to find out they are laying in a hay ring clear across the pasture.  I want a large chicken house.  My ideal house would be around 20'x20' with part of it being a "run"  I want to have 20-30 laying hens to provide us with eggs and a side egg business.  I also want to raise meaties again and have them in the same proximity of the hens.

Another thing for the farm- we have our pig, Lily.  She needs to be butchered asap so as soon as we get our tax return we are going to do so.  But we want to get a couple more pigs too.  I would like to get like 10 since we have the room and it wouldn't cost much to revamp the old hog lots that are already complete with hog barns.  (My mom and dad raised hogs on this part of the farm for 20 years and my grandparents raised them as well)  I don't know a lot of about raising hogs but obviously my parents do so I am sure they would help if we needed it.  I don't know if hubby would be interested in getting more into a hog business.  I think we could do okay and that way the hogs and chickens could be my part and the cattle and wheat could be his basically.  I feel like I am not always doing a fair share with the farm so I feel that I need something to contribute more then just the canning and cooking.

One of our heifers in the lot next to our house should calve in the next couple weeks.  It is just now a waiting game.  Yesterday we noticed some mucus coming out and usually when they start that it isn't more than 2 weeks.  She has developed quite a large bag and it seems that her calf has dropped.  I hope she doesn't have any trouble and doesn't wait for a storm like most cattle do. ha!

Bob, our little farm pup, had become quite good friends with the heifers- it is miraculous really.  He is quite the guard dog and is learning to be very protective of us.  He is part red heeler and part min pin- we got him in July when he was just 5 weeks old.  He sleeps on the front porch and always alerts us if someone or something is in the yard/driveway.  He rarely barks unless something is up.  We have had a couple issues with him killing chickens (another reason why I don't want to free range anymore) but for the most part he doesn't bother them.

As for the homeschooling - my library is growing! I got a large package the other day from South Carolina.  I had ordered some of Sophia's workbooks from a lady.  She had some others that I needed as well but I told her I would have to wait as I couldn't afford all of them.  What a giving heart the lady has as she sent them all to me with a note that says, "Don't worry about it, we homeschoolers have to stick together and raise our children to be understanding" Made me want to cry! As soon as I can I plan on sending her something special.  I am still waiting on an ebay purchase that I ordered for Cooper.  Hopefully it gets here today.

Well guess that is all the updates I have- have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment