Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Television and other things

I enjoy watching some television.  I enjoy shows on the History channel, food network, hallmark, and PBS.  Those are about the only channels we really watch.  I get so irked when commercials come on that use words that I would not say in everyday life and I really don't want my kids to say them.  I should not have to divert questions from my 5 year old son what Kotex are or what Sexy means.  Why has these words and products become everyday things?

I remember when I was younger hearing preaching that television was the devil - I used to think they were just crazy and didn't really know anything.  Now that I am a mom and am seeing these things through my kids' eyes... well I am not pleased at all.  Even the cartoons that are supposed to be for children are not appropriate - whose children are they appropriate for?  We watch the cartoons on PBS and then the kids have VHS tapes that I have picked out.  I know my kids are young and are already being exposed to peer pressure - my 5 year old comes home from Pre-K talking about transformers and other things like that.  I   Santa actually gave in and bought him a transformer for Christmas - he played with it maybe twice and much prefers the wooden semi truck that we found for him at a thrift store... enough said.

Also at my son's pre-k on Fridays they have show and tell.  My son usually takes his favorite truck, book, or lately he has taken his John Deere Pillow that grandma made him.  He wanted to take his jeans that I patched for him!! He was so proud, but I talked him into changing his mind about that.  :) The other boys take action figures that I have never even heard of and many bring video games.  I detest video games.  I have seen the results of kids that play video games all the time.  I don't like it.  Kids should play outside!  Go on walks, enjoy life!  Some people seem to think that a kid has to be taken to the park to play or has to have a ton of outside toys.  My kids have their tricycles and some shovels... they have had other toys but rarely used them.  They have a swing set, but again barely use it.  They would rather be digging in the dirt - looking for gold as they say.  Or tractor pulling - tying something behind their trikes and having contests.  They also enjoy making mud pies, going exploring behind the house, looking for dinosaur prints, or just plain being outside.

As far as I am concerned this house will not have video games- I would like to do away with the TV but I don't think my husband would like that idea.  He doesn't watch much tv, but does enjoy the little that he does watch.

I know there are other things that we do that are not good for us.  Like the internet for example, I use Facebook a LOT and I know I shouldn't.  There are so many things that have a devilish influence in life, but there are so many ways to turn that around and persuade others to better paths.

I have heard many people say that I should not be on Facebook - that everyone that uses facebook blah blah blah.  Doesn't the Bible say to go out into the highways and the hedges? That we shouldn't judge people?  I try to surround myself with Godly people and express my feelings of these areas as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment