Thursday, February 14, 2013

Braided Rugs Can be made from ANYTHING!

I have seen rugs made from plastic bags and the thought intrigued me, but hadn't thought much past that.  I always thought - I am not crafty I can't do that.  Well today for some reason I started searching tutorials on how to make braided rugs.  My great-grandmother Lina made some really awesome braided rugs that our family still has today.  She died in the early 80's.  She would go to auctions and buy old wool coats and cut them into strips and braid into HUGE area rugs. So I guess it comes to me naturally to want to do something with my hands.

When I was younger I LOVED to make bracelets and bookmarks using braids and knots with embroidery thread, I really enjoyed it and could spend hours doing so.

Back to the plastic bags... Most of the tutorials I found mention crocheting - I can't crochet, at least not yet.  I have the DVD and beginners kit and I have watched the video a LOT and still don't really get it.  I can cast on but after that I am LOST lol.  My grandmother knits and crochets, I hope to some day learn how to do that.  Well I started searching for NO sew braided rugs and came up with ones made from plastic bags.  I read this tutorial - http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Rug-from-Plastic-Grocery-Bags/  So when hubby came home he found me in the middle of the living room floor cutting up plastic bags.  He thought I had lost it! But then I showed him what I was doing.  He too thought it was awesome.  I soon ran out of plastic bags though, these things take a LOT of bags.  This is where I got to with my bags:


So while I had ground beef thawing for supper I went over to my mom's house (she lives about a mile away) to see if she had any bags.  She had lots!  I cleaned out her bag drawer and she still has bags... lol  I worked on it awhile after supper, and got a bit more done.



I still have a lot of bags.  I went ahead and cut them so they are ready to be braided in.  I like the way it is turning out.  I am not doing any specific pattern, most of my bags are WalMart and Woods bags.  I wish I had more colored bags.  I really liked the dark red and the blue bags.  I gotta get my hands on some Dollar General bags - they are YELLOW! That would be pretty!

I am going to try to do another one with bread bags too... I keep hearing people say they knew so and so that made these out of bread bags - very colorful.  There is a lady who is going to send me a bunch of bread bags for me to work with (how nice is she!?)

I really have never been crafty at all.  It is like I am finally growing up and feel that I need to learn a skill besides canning/cooking.  What is a homemaker that can't sew?  I bought a sewing machine last week.



I have no prior sewing machine experience.  My mom never taught me how to use one and while I had a Home Ec class, we didn't learn sewing, only cooking and family health.  It was more of a health class than anything.  My husband who had to take Home Ec at his school help me set it up and get it threaded.  He showed me some stuff too.

My first project (and only project so far) was a potholder.  I made it with 3 layers of denim cut and layered inside, with pretty cotton on the outsides, so technically there are 5 layers in all.  I tried using bias tape - need more practice with that.  But here it is, my very first sewing project at age 27 years.  (You have to start somewhere right?)



It serves its purpose though.  I will cherish it always.  It is about 9x9 and not too stiff, but thick enough to protect my hands.  Plus I used a pair of hubby's work jeans that he had ripped out beyond repair.

Well it is 12:15 am so I guess I better get to bed.  Tomorrow (well today) is Valentine's Day.  I am making hubby and the kids and I - tri tip steak, baked potatoes, oven roasted veggies, salad, and a heart shaped red velvet cake with homemade cream cheese icing. Good night all!


No comments:

Post a Comment